Saturday, November 22, 2008

Koke Hanau Kaulana


boost my brain energy and give me a bit of inspiration to fill my friends and family in about my time in Hawaii since my last post. Usually I have to wake up at 8 in order to get breakfast on the weekends, but today I woke up at 9:30, and walked to the dining hall hoping I could at least get some orange juice or something. I walked into the kitchen, and Chef asked me if I wanted one of the scones she was baking for the Fall Fest  (a desperate last minute attempt for the financially suffering YMCA to get some money). You have no idea how good it was. I'm so glad Chef Dorothy likes me, otherwise I would have been stuck with Cheerios or a piece of toast or something like that. Speaking of Dorothy, she and her husband took James and me to dinner last week. We all drove down to Moe's in Pearl Ridge and had a burrito. Dorothy decided to adopt me as her on camp daughter (James is her on camp son), and she offered to buy us both books at Border's after we ate. I felt like I was at home. It was great.
Back to my work experience, I had to perform a rescue on the Alpine tower the other day. We spent about 20 minutes trying to convince this little 7 year old, David to let go of the tower so that we could lower him, but he just wouldn't do it, so I had to go up and rescue him. After I did, he followed me around all weekend and talked to me like I was his hero. It was absolutely adorable. 
I had the day off yesterday, so James and I decided to take a hike up the mountain. We got just about to the very top, but we couldn't get any further because there was only rock face, and I don't free climb. It was an absolutely beautiful view. I have today off as well, but its raining like crazy (it starts raining a lot during the winter). Tomorrow is Fall Fest, meaning I will be working on the alpine tower for 8 hours in a row, with no break, unless it gets rained out, which I am hoping it does. I really wish I had a car so that I could discover some more of the island, but i'll have to wait til Kyle has a day off too. I am planning a skydiving outing for James, Kyle, Peter, me, and maybe a few other people next sunday. I cant wait. Skydiving in Hawaii has got to be amazing. 
Well...the countdown has begun. I will be home in 15 days. I'm so excited to see everyone and get a job that pays me. Im starting to base my life around my credit card bills, which is not a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Ashley J said...

I write with you from small town with single television set. On television set we look at the LOST everyday. I think of being a star as in the American television set and one day your post is like sunshine inspiration to me. On day that you meet will be most of pleasure to me. Please address glad tidings of admiration to your friends as stars of LOST. I hope someday to meet and shake hands. Greetings.

katiejames. said...

Ashley, you are the best. I hope one day to meet you as well. You're small town hope gives me hope that I will one day make it as a star. Reach for the moon, and even if you dont quite make it, you will still land among the stars....can i think of any other cheesy inspirational quotes? nope, i think im out. WOMAN! I miss you! I wish I was going to see you for christmas!